New Teacher/ Mentor Academy
The Rye City School District’s New Teacher Mentor Academy establishes a network of support to promote the personal and professional growth and development of beginning and experienced teachers that are new to the district.
The goals of the program are:
- To orient new teachers and leave replacements to their workplace.
- To provide emotional support and general guidance about the school district’s professional culture to reduce attrition and enhance student achievement by providing dedicated, experienced teachers to support the growth and well-being of new teachers.
- To assist new teachers and leave replacements with curricular and classroom management issues, grade level and building goals and standards, and other professional issues.
New York State Mentoring Standards:
The program is aligned with the New York State Mentoring Standards, which upholds the assertion that mentoring is a crucial transition between teacher preparation and continuing professional development.
- All teachers new to Rye, regardless of previous teaching experience are matched with a teacher mentor in their first year in Rye.
- The RCSD Mentoring program combines school level and district level support by providing dedicated, experienced teachers to support the growth and well-being of new teachers.
- The program begins with a “Welcome Workshop” in August and continues through June of the teacher’s first year.
- Through a combination of teacher welcome workshops, district level professional development meetings, and 1-to-1 teacher mentoring, we work to improve the effectiveness and satisfaction of teachers who are new to the Rye City Schools.