OPT OUT EXPERIENCE
Out-Of-District PE Opt Out:
Who is eligible? Juniors and Seniors who participate in an Out-of-District PE Experience (O.D.E) which includes sustained, vigorous, and organized physical activity, are eligible to opt out of Physical Education classes.
How are applications processed and approved? All applications will go through an approval process. Registrations/Applications for O.D.E Opt Out are done through FamilyID, our online registration platform used by the district for sports registration and PE opt out. Once registered, the applications must be approved by the Director of Health, PE, & Athletics, High School Principal, and Superintendent of Schools. Students are required to attend PE class until they receive confirmation (Via email from FamilyID) that their registration/application has been approved.
The Physical Education O.D.E. activity must:
- Meet a minimum requirement of 120 hours per semester (average of 6 hours per week)
- Be approved by the Director of Health, Physical Education, and Athletics, High School Principal, and the Superintendent of schools.
- Be taught by personnel (certified or non-certified) who have appropriate experience as shown on their professional resume. Please note that applications including an Instructor who is a family member will not be accepted. Students also may only list one experience and one supervisor. Registrations/Applications that list multiple experiences and or multiple instructors will NOT be approved.
The Student Must:
- Upload as prompted the instructor's resume form to FamilyID. Please make sure the form is legible and includes a brief description of the O.D.E activity with the specific amount of hours. Forms that are not legible will not be accepted. Incomplete forms will not be accepted.
- Maintain the district-approved activity log to be submitted to and reviewed with the P.E. teacher of record two weeks prior to the end of each quarter. Activity logs can be found on the district athletic page (Printed Resources). Deadlines are listed on the Log forms for each quarter. Logs handed in late will NOT be accepted.
Log Due Dates 2019-2020:
- 1st Quarter Logs Due: October 30th, 2019
- 2nd Quarter Logs Due: January 17th, 2020
- 3rd Quarter Logs Due: April 1st, 2020
- 4th Quarter Logs Due: June 2nd, 2020
In District Opt Out:
Who is eligible? Juniors and Seniors who participate in a Rye City School District varsity sport are eligible to opt out of Physical Education classes.
How are applications processed and approved? Registrations/Applications are processed via FamilyID. Students who are interested in opting out and are a member of a varsity team should register/apply via FamilyID. Once students are confirmed as a team member for their respected RCSD varsity sport, a confirmation email will be sent (Via FamilyID). Students should attend PE classes until confirmed as being approved for their in-district opt out.
Requirements for Approval of In District Opt Out:
- Registration/Application via FamilyID.
- Confirmed as a member of a RCSD varsity team.
The Student Must:
- Register/Apply via FamilyID
- Attend PE classes until confirmed on the varsity roster for their in-season sport.
If I am a winter athlete, when can I opt out for in district PE opt out? Winter athletes are eligible for opt out only for the second semester. Winter athletes are required to attend PE class until they are approved for the second semester opt out.
If I am a spring athlete, when can I opt out for in district PE opt out? Spring athletes are eligible for in-district opt out once their respective season begins. Once confirmed on their spring roster, students will be able to opt out. (Note-Winter athletes who have already opted out, do NOT need to reapply for opt out if they are playing a spring sport). For example, an athlete who participated in and was approved for in district opt-out for Winter Track and is also playing Softball in the Spring would not need to reapply for Softball in the spring.