- Rye City School District
RCSD School Opening Update for Next Week
August 19, 2021
Dear RCSD Community,
I hope you and your family are enjoying the summer. I am writing with an update regarding school opening in September. More detailed information will follow in the coming weeks, but I wanted to outline some of the more critical components of the 2021-2022 school year that we know based on guidance from the New York State Education Department, CDC, and the American Academy of Pediatrics and impacted by the recent increase in cases in Westchester County resulting from the Delta variant:
- School will be in-person, full-time, five days a week for all students
- All students, faculty, and staff will be required to wear masks indoors regardless of vaccination status. Masks are not required outdoors
- Quarantine rules have changed which should result in many fewer quarantines. Fully-vaccinated individuals who are not showing symptoms and masked individuals who are at least three feet from others will not need to quarantine if exposed to a positive individual. Students who are required to quarantine will access school through live streaming. Individuals who will need to quarantine will be contacted by the District on a case-by-case basis
- Social distancing will be three feet wherever possible
- We will continue using outdoor spaces for instruction and lunch as much as possible, weather permitting
- All fall athletics and extracurricular clubs programs at all levels will run in person, following safety measures instituted last spring
- No daily health screening forms will be required; Students/faculty/staff should not come to school if they are experiencing any symptoms of infectious illness
- We will not offer a remote option this year unless guidance or health and safety concerns warrant it. Parents/guardians of students with extenuating medical conditions should contact their school principal
As always, we will closely monitor COVID metrics and the current situation to determine any necessary changes in health and safety protocols with the goal of keeping our students in school full time.
Student Schedules/Teacher Assignments Available to View on Parent Portal:
- RHS: August 27 at 9:00 a.m.
- RMS: August 27 at 3:00 p.m.
- Midland: August 27 at 3:00 p.m. Letters will be mailed home on August 26
- Milton: August 27 at 3:00 p.m. Letters will be mailed home on August 26
- Osborn: August 27 at 3:00 p.m. Letters will be mailed home on August 26
Opening Information Sessions
Individual school principals will be holding a series of online parent information sessions and I will host more general community Q&A sessions during the weeks of August 23 and 30. Dates, times, and Google Meet links for these sessions will be shared shortly.
We are excited for the start of school and look forward to welcoming everyone back. Stay well.
Eric Byrne, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools