- Rye Middle School
RMS District-Issued Student Chromebooks for 2020-21 School Year
Dear Rye Middle School Students and Families,
This fall Rye Middle School will transition to 1:1 Chromebooks for all students in grades 6-8. Each student will now have a District-issued device that will no longer be shared. Students will have the tools and resources for 21st-century learning;: technology will be integrated throughout the curriculum. Increasing access to technology is essential to building college and career-readiness skills. Individual use of Chromebooks is a way to empower students to maximize their full potential and to prepare them for the future.
The Chromebook usage agreement below sets forth guidelines and expectations for student use and possession of District-owned devices and must be signed by a parent/guardian and the student and will be kept on file. Student use of Chromebooks is subject to the rules and regulations outlined in the District’s Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). Use of Chromebooks for any purpose other than education may violate the AUP and may result in the loss of Chromebook privileges and/or disciplinary action.
Each student will receive one Chromebook, a charging cable, and case, all of which will be clearly labeled with the student’s first and last names. Students are responsible for the safety and upkeep of all equipment. The Chromebook must remain free of any writing, drawing, stickers, or labels that are not the property of the RCSD. If a Chromebook is damaged, lost or stolen, the family is responsible for repairing/replacing the device.
Although the Chromebook will be in the student’s possession throughout the year, it is still property of the Rye City School District. Once they receive a device, students will keep it for the remainder of their middle school years. Students are responsible for returning the device, charger, and case once they move up to the high school or disenroll from the District. The device and charger should be returned in the condition in which they were received with the exception of acceptable wear and tear. If the Chromebook and charger are not returned to the District, or if the device and/or charger are returned in a nonfunctional state, parents/guardians will be responsible to reimburse the District for the value of the Chromebook and/or charger.
When the Chromebook is used at home, the student will have access to the Internet via home Wi-Fi. Keep in mind the District’s AUP is in full effect at all times, including times the Chromebook is used at home by the student. In accordance with that policy, students are not allowed to visit websites that are not educationally-related or not in compliance with the District's AUP. It is important that parents monitor their child’s use of the Chromebook closely. If a parent/guardian is concerned, we advise that they contact the Technology Department. Violation of the above expectations or the District AUP when using a District-owned and student-operated Chromebook may result in a loss of student’s access to a Chromebook. If this happens, the student will be responsible for participation in class and is still required to complete all schoolwork.
In mid-August, the District will be distributing devices to all middle school students. For convenience, families with one or more middle school students will be able to pick up the device on the same day. More information on pickup arrangements will be communicated to families mid-summer. In addition, all RMS students will be asked to participate in Student Tech University sessions in August. During these sessions, students will learn how to care for their District device, navigate the Chromebook, and use the Google Apps for Education suite. In addition, Google app-specific online courses will be offered to help students with digital citizenship, organization, productivity, and utility via the Google Applied Digital Skills platform. Although these courses are optional, they are highly recommended. To sign up for a University session, please click on the link that corresponds to the grade level that your student will be entering in the fall. Please select one time slot to attend. Please note that six different sessions will be offered to each grade and students will be scheduled according to their selection on a first-come, first-served basis. Students will receive a confirmation email sent to their RCSD Gmail account that will contain the Google MEET link to their online session. We strongly encourage that you write down the date and time of the event.
Student Pledge for Chromebook Use
- I will take care of my Chromebook
- I will never leave the Chromebook unattended
- I will never loan out my Chromebook to other individuals
- I will never share my username or password with other individuals
- I will know where my Chromebook is at all times
- I will charge my Chromebook’s battery daily, or more frequently as necessary
- I will keep food and beverages away from my Chromebook since they may cause damage to the device
- I will not disassemble any part of my Chromebook or attempt any repairs
- I will protect my Chromebook by only carrying it in the case provided
- I will use my Chromebook in ways that are appropriate, meet RCSD expectations, and are educational
- I will not deface the serial number or Chromebook sticker on any Chromebook
- I understand that I have no expectation of privacy in my Chromebook and it is subject to inspection at any time without notice and remains the property of the RCSD
- I will follow all policies outlined in the Google Apps Permission Form
- I will report any cases of theft, vandalism, etc.
- I will be responsible for all damage or loss caused by neglect or abuse
- I agree to return the District Chromebook, case, and power cord in good working condition
- I will be a proactive digital citizen when using my Chromebook
- I understand that my use of the Chromebook is subject to all applicable District policies and regulations, including but not limited to, the AUP, Google Apps Permission form, and the Code of Conduct, as well as any applicable provisions of the student handbook and any individual building policies and procedures
Student/Parent Pledge for Chromebook Use
- I/we understand that the District-issued Chromebook is intended solely for student educational use and that students are not permitted to download any applications or extensions that are not authorized by their teachers or approved by the RCSD administration/technology department.
- I/we understand my/our responsibilities with respect to care and maintenance of the Chromebook.
- I/we understand that, once authorized, students may take Chromebooks home in the evenings for school-related use, however, I/we understand that students must have Chromebooks in school every day.
- I/we understand that students must return Chromebooks and the charger at the end of the school year in the condition it was received. Parents/guardians are responsible for the cost of damages/replacing the device/charger.
- I/we understand that I must report any problems or damage to the Chromebook to the building administration.
- I/we understand that RCSD reserves the right to conduct unannounced inspections of student Chromebooks.
- I/we understand that the use of Chromebooks will be governed by all terms and conditions of the RCSD policies and regulations, including but not limited to the AUP, Google Apps Permission form, Code of Conduct, Student Handbook, etc.
Individual District Chromebook devices and accessories must be returned to the Director of Technology at the end of each school year. Students who graduate early, withdraw, are suspended or expelled, or terminate enrollment at the RCSD for any reason must return their individual school Chromebook device on the date of termination. In the event that the District-issued Chromebook is not returned under any of these circumstances, the District reserves the right to pursue appropriate legal action for the return of the Chromebook.